Saturday 11 February 2012

It's Grim Down South

I've been up in Aberdeen all week again, as usual for this time of year as we finish off all of the emissions verifications before the end of March.  All winter, I can't believe how mild it's been up there; windy yes, but cold, no.  This week has been no exception really and I've been able to run on three out of four occasions in just the minimum amount of winter gear, tights, a long sleeved base layer and short sleeved top.  I even ran one day without gloves or hat, and only needed the windproof top layer once.  Three out of the four runs were in huaraches, with socks wedged up between my toes.

But then what a contrast when I got home.  On the way from Norwich airport to home, it was minus 13 celcius at one point, and when I went out shopping in town today, it was minus 10.  The market stall holders were really suffering today.  I had planned on a long run or ride tomorrow, but it looks like it'll be back in the garage for a decent erg session.

Picked up a good load of local veg, apples and a couple of partridge, one for the freezer and one for tomorrows Sunday roast.

Training wise, I managed to get an extra session in this week, giving me six, of which five were runs and this evening on the turbo trainer. 

Totals
Run - 5 sessions, 42.65km, 3hr 44
Bike - 1 session, 30km, 1hr

One thing I have been noticing lately is that the steady sessions have started to plateau in performance somewhat.  With the club TT season starting in April, I had planned to start building in some anaerobic sessions on both bike and erg from March onwards, but looking at that plateauing, I think I'll start this week instead.  That should give things a kick start.

I'm hoping that the weather breaks and spring appears soon enough in March though as this is the third week in a row that my outdoor long session has been FUBAR'd by the weather.

This weeks Sessions
Sunday - Run - 10.22km / 54:54 / 5:22 pace/ AHR 144 / MHR 159* - screwy HR reading in the first 2km
Monday - Travel to Aberdeen
Tuesday - Run - 42:43.6 / 8.19km / 5:18 pace/ AHR 144 / MHR 152 - cold but dry
Wednesday - Run - 43:06.8 / 8.14km / 5:18 pace / AHR 142 / MHR 179* - screwy HR reading again, very windy
Thursday - Run - 41:54 / 8.10 km / 5:10 pace / AHR 145 / MHR 154 - Damp and foggy, Garmin kept autopausing, very annoying
Friday - Run - 41:35 / 8.1km / 5:08 pace / AHR 142 / MHR 154 - back to chilly but dry again
Saturday - Turbo, 1hr / 29.9km / AHR 144 / MHR 152 / Average 206W / Max 235W

Time above the MAF threshold varied from 2:30 to ten minutes.  Of course in some, but not all cases, that includes the screwy readings.  I'm now thinking about getting a tube of the contact gel, but I also think the elastic strap of my HR monitor is a bit past it and needs replacing.

That's it for today, my dear reader.  Time is short and I am completely stacked up at work, but when I get time I will post some wintry pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment