Aims for this ride
- Test the comfort over long distance/duration. The woodman is 112km, vs my longest planned tour day of 146km, and a club ride of 160km.
- Test average audax speed on the new machine. Barring mechanicals, p*$nct%res, route screw ups, I normally expect an audax speed of about 25km/h
- Test the gearing on hills, the route heads out amongst the rolling lanes of Essex and has about 850m climb on the routesheet
- Enjoy a day out in the sunshine
Now into to the really small and windy lanes of Essex and starting to get a bit more rolling as well. Despite having done a series of 4 rides down there in the winter I was still seeing some new places and new roads.
- The S40 is a great long distance tourer, and I can’t foresee an issue on tour, respectable audax speed maintained (5 hours elapsed for 112km
- The stock seat cushion is far too squishy, leaving bruising inside my shoulder blades – ventisit pads on order
- The 12-28 is a bit ambitious for touring. 12-32 now purchased, but not yet trialled
- Fun was maintained