Sunday, 4 March 2018

And a brief hiatus

Rear derailleur now installed as well.  I also managed to get the headrest to install finally, to do so, I removed about half of the rubber sleeving which has allowed me the wiggle room to get the ends of the headrest past the bottom clamp.  That's now tightened in with one clamp on the uncovered part and one on the rubberised part.  Hopefully that will now hold.

I finally sorted out the BB removal from the old bike and reinstall here.  It seems that Shimano have about 5 "standards" for their external bearing road BBs, 43mm, 41mm, 39mm etc. Finally got the tool for the BB9000.  Bearing cups came off no problems at all, both had been well greased with copper anti seize on assembly by the LBS a few years back. Only issue was extracting the central plastic sleeve.  Eventually it came out with a great big chunk of ice, but damaged.  Luckily it's an after market spare so I shouldn't need to purchase a whole new BB assembly - new one is on order, hopefully arrive monday/tuesday. Old frame has now been set aside, I'll have to give it a good check over later for corrosion in the BB shell (not sure how the water was getting in) and take a look at a few suspect areas on the downtube.

Plan had been to mount the cranks and seat to allow me to sort out boom length. I've mounted the cranks temporarily for now, confirming the BB compatibility if nothing else.

All components except the front mech are now mounted, not much point with that until I have the BB fully mounted - don't want to risk damaging it when removing and refitting the mech.  I've set the boom and slider length now as a starting point, adn mounted flat pedals until I'm used to the bike.

Next steps are to begin the cabling, and I think I now understand the cable route for the front mech.

No comments:

Post a comment